Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sedaris




Choose a Sedaris essay (or story) and write a blog post about it. Like I said in class, I want more than a summarization of the essay or story. What is the purpose of the essay or story? What is he doing in the writing? He's been compared to Mark Twain and Nathanael West. Do you see similarities between his writing and the writing of Twain and West?

Blog post is due Friday, Nov. 2nd.

Tasteless

This Old House

In The Waiting Room

What I Learned


It's Catching


Turbulence

Old Faithful
The Girl Next Door

Our Perfect Summer

Who's the Chef?

1 comment:

AlexK said...

I had never even heard of David Sedaris before this class. I knew of AMy sedaris as I would often stay up to watch strangers with candy when I was younger. But I always called her "Jerry Blank" as I had no idea what her name was.

Sedaris' writing style is unlike anything I had read before. But I feel as though it isnt half as good as when he reads it aloud. His voice and his pathetic demeanor are so comical as he self deprecates on stage. I find it interesting that he writes about his family so much. I havent read one story yet that does not mention them. It brings to perspective that American family neurotica is by far the best comedic genre on earth. Almost every family strives to become the fucking Waltons, and yet we all comically fail.

I wonder what the other siblings are like in the family. I would kill to go to a Sedaris family reunion.