Monday, October 15, 2007

More-y Gorey




I told you he had a thing for cats.

Here's a decent Salon article that came out around Gorey's death. I had no idea that he was buds with Frank O'Hara in college. They would dress up like Oscar Wilde and go about town and attack passers-by with their dandyisms. Sounds either really fun or really lame. I can't decide.

And here is a PBS interview where Gorey talks about Charles Addams (creator of Addams Family):

Does it bother you when people lump you together with people who do "horror" like Stephen King or Charles Addams?

Yes. Only very occasionally do I try to shock in a mild sort of way. I'm very squeamish really. As for Charles Addams, I knew him. We had the same agent. I occasionally would have lunch with him. I was told he envied me because I had a more highbrow reputation than he did. I love Charles Addams' stuff. I suppose there's always the possibility somebody will come along and want to do the equivalent of The Addams Family movie with my stuff. Well, I'm not that rich, so I'd probably say, "Go ahead."

No comments: